- Cycles got several precision, noise, speed, memory improvements, new Pointiness attribute.
- Viewport has new cool compositing features, outliner now manages orphan datablocks better.
- Modeling now allows custom normals, and transferring data layers between meshes!
- Massive improvements to hair dynamics and editing tools: a big step forward with more to come…
- A new tool “Cavity Mask” was added to sculpting painting, along with other improvements.
- Great memory consumption optimization in Freestyle NPR stroke rendering.
- Grease pencil and Game engine improvements, and more…
Optimizations: black world backgrounds are now removed from the shader graph, resulting in great speed improvements, many great memory optimizations
Nodes: new Pointiness attribute for the Geometry node, control texture space of one object by another.
View-depth can now be picked using an Eyedropper
Outliner: orphaned Datablocks Mode was added for datablock management, now allows deleting of entire object hierachies, drag & drop objects to groups.
The Node Editor can now show text-blocks in frames
Customizable camera safe areas
- UV handling for Edge/ Vertex Slide was improved
- new inverse-square blending for proportional-edit-mode
- “Fit Camera View” now works for orthographic cameras as well
- new “Split Concave Faces” tool to ensure a convex geometry was added
- Support for hair collision with meshes
- Simulation now happens using volumetric calculations for more realistic results
- Strand bending uses a more realistic approach
- Controlling of child hair shapes using curve widgets
- New “Spiral” kink mode to generate spirals at hair ends
- Toggle buttons for render and viewport visibility were added to the particle settings in the Properties Editor
- Improvements to rake and random mapping
- Line strokes now support constrains to 45 degree increments
- Support for dithering for painting on byte images
- A new tool “Cavity Mask” was added that creates masks based on mesh cavities or hills
- New Editing tools like copy & paste strokes, duplicating active layer, …
- Enable eraser on the fly while drawing with “Continuous Drawing”
- Various UI tweaks such as color swatches for Stroke and Fill colors
- Grease Pencil data layers are now shown in the Outliner
- Improvements to the action management to reduce the cases where unused actions are deleted
- Pasting keyframes can now be done flipped
- Using a new “Follow” option, the animation editors can now follow the time indicator
- The first contact point of colliding can now be accessed from Python
- Usability improvements
- A new Auto Tile Size Add-on helps setting up the fastest tile size for Cycles rendering
- Import images as planes now works for Cycles as well
- POV-Ray Renderer now supports volumetric rendering
- FBX and OBJ now support custom normals import
- New Python API functions
- .blend Files & Libraries: generation and saving of previews for materials, textures, lamps, world and images datablocks.
- Background images can now be rotated and flipped.
- Compositing: Plane Track Deform, Multilayer EXR nodes improved; memory usage optimization.
- Sequencer: Slip tool, Setting proxies improved; preview individual strips (feature back from Blender 2.4x)
- Added gamma node support for Blender Internal
- Added MotionTracking operator to filter tracks based on how smooth their motion is
- Many other small Improvements